Apologies if this is obvious, but how do the auto-updating tentacles work? Will a link appear in the octopus portal next to each machine that is out of date to allow you to update it or will you have the option of updating tentacles as part of the main Octopus installer?
I’ll write a blog post about it tonight, but to summarise:
- You run the MSI for a new Octopus Portal release
- After installation, navigate to the Environments page
- In the background Octopus will attempt to contact each Tentacle, and check what version it is running
- If the version is out of date, the website will make that obvious
- You can click an ‘Upgrade’ button to deploy the latest Tentacle to each machine in the environment
So you’ll still run the MSI to get the latest Octopus, but it will auto-update all Tentacles (if you tell it to).
Hope that helps,
The blog post here includes some screenshots that might give you a better idea of how it works: