Auditing Runtime Prompted Variables

As far as I can tell there is no way to identify the value of a prompted variable used in a specific deployment.

Was this feature added and removed again? This old question from 2015 indicates that on the deployment details page you used to be able to see a snapshot of the variables used in a deployment including the prompted ones but now the variable snapshot is only available on the release.

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for getting in touch! I actually don’t ever recall a variable tab in the deployment log page back in the 3.x days of Octopus like is mentioned in that thread. I think a slightly different approach was taken back then with the creation of debugging variables that allow you to write out every variable before and after it’s evaluated for each step (namely OctopusPrintVariables and OctopusPrintEvaluatedVariables).

These variables are intended more for debugging purposes and can affect performance on deployments so we recommend disabling them after debugging. I think the best option would be to write the prompted variables to the log yourself which will write the value set when starting the deployment.

I’m sorry it’s not better news, but I hope this helps in some way. Let me know if you have any further questions moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Hey Kenny.

It makes it somewhat difficult to reproduce deployment issues if a prompted variable value caused unexpected behaviour (:laughing: this is my case).
Probably my fault for allowing a free text input with no validation on the variable passed in… I’ll make my deployments/runbooks better.

You can close this topic thanks.

Hi Shaun,

I get what you mean. Maybe another thing that could help is the fact that the deployment does snapshot the variables, including prompted variables, which you can see via the API. If you know the deployment-ID, you can reference its variable snapshot at /api/Spaces-1/variables/variableset-Deployments-ID.

I hope that helps, and let me know if you have any questions moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.