Audit of Octopus Variable Changes

Are changes to variables and variable sets audited? if so where can we see the information of who changed what and when?

Thanks,
Richard.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for getting in touch! Under the Configuration -> Audit menu you can see every change made, when and by which user. I have attached a sample of what the variable change audit looks like.

Hope this helps!
Vanessa

Thanks for the quick reply - don’t know how I missed this!..

Hi Richard, our octo admin shows me the Audit menu:
user, projects environments. I don’t see a selection for variables. Could you post a screen that I can reach variable from Audit menu?
Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

There is no selection for variables, you would need to identify it via the list. There is currently no way to limit the audit for specific transaction types.

Vanessa

Thanks for the reply Vanessa!

You mentioned that “you would need to identify it via the list”, can you post a screen to show how I can proceed:
Say I have a global variable globalConnection in the variable set, and I want to know modifications on this variable: who at when

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

See my attachments of what an edited variable looks like in the audit log.

Vanessa

Ok I can see you are not actually searching the variable; instead, you find a user who most likely touched this variable, and then get audit information for that variable.
Does the audit provide the whole history of the activities performed on this variable, all way back from the beginning of the creation of this variable?
Also I don’t see the date and time stamp for the change.

Thanks so much!

Steve

Hi Steve,

The audit is simply a date based event viewer for changed things in Octopus. Variables in Octopus Projects are not stored singluarly but as a whole JSON object, and many variables can change at the same time with a single save.
We do not treat them individually - so you would need to know the project. There would be many events that could have changes for a single variable. Its designed to see what has been changed - not as a history for a single variable.
Generally so auditors can monitor changes that are made and by who.

Vanessa

1 Like

Hi Vanessa.

Here is our situation:

One global variable was created and was assumed to be shared by many projects, which we do not necessary know all of them.
Is there a way to find all the projects which share this variable?

Initial thought was to use the variable audit to find who at when created or modified this variable so we can go to ask the person(s) of what projects they are working on.

Please let me know if there is a way to accomplish this?

Thanks so much!

Steve

Hi Steve,

You could use the API. You can get a list of projects: https://demo.octopusdeploy.com/api/projects
Which each have a variable set: https://demo.octopusdeploy.com/api/variables/variableset-Projects-141
You could then search and compare each projects variables sets for the variable you are looking for.

Vanessa