Apply retention policies task causing slowness in the UI

Hi @clare.martin,
Thanks for letting me know.
We will upgrade to the latest 2022.2.8011.

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

1 Like

Hi @clare.martin,

We have upgrade our Octopus version to 2022.2.8011. This did remove all the individual spaces but we are still seeing the issue with the Octopus UI slow response while the Apply Retention Policies job is running for each space. The job runs for 20 mins approx and runs every 4 hours. (Can this job be disabled?) The DTU’s in our DB also still spike to 100% for the duration of the Apply Retention Policies job is running.

I have run a query on the DB to get the longest running queries that are running on the DB while the Apply Retention Policies job is running and get below returned.

I have attached the full text of the query which is returned.
DB_Query.txt (10.1 KB)

Kind regards,
Micheál Power

Hey @mikepower79,

Good to know you managed to upgrade, there were a few issues with your instance that could potentially be narrowed down to Private Spaces so I hope the upgrade at least had some benefit for you, even if it just cleaned up the DB a bit.

I am really sorry to hear the upgrade has not solved this issue for you though, it completely rules out Private Spaces which is good as our engineers can focus their attention on other possible causes. That is a huge CPU spike, there is definitely something not quite right there.

I am sorry to have to ask you this but I have created you a secure link here as the old one expired, are you able to get us a copy of your Octopus Server logs please and I can update the engineers with what you have found.

Can you let us know once the logs have been uploaded and I will get them to the engineers ASAP.

Kind Regards,

Clare

Hi @clare.martin,
I have uploaded Octopus server logs.

Kind regards,
Micheál Power

1 Like

Hi Micheál,

Thank you for uploading this, I’m just stepping in for Clare as she has gone offline for the day.

I have relayed this log to our engineering team via the thread Clare created earlier, and we will reach back out as soon as we have any updates.

Regards,

Britton

Hey @mikepower79,

Another update for one of your tickets has come through so thought I would share it.

The engineer has put together a GitHub Issue (which is private at the moment whilst we investigate so I cannot share it with you).

He is going to tackle this issue as a wider part of the engineers’ work they are doing on improving performance but does not have a set date for this as of yet. This seems to be related to the amount of releases a customer has as we load all releases when running our retention policies. The more releases you have, the slower the policy will take to run and the more impact it will have on the DB.

Do you have lots of releases for each project? If so this is potentially why the retention policy is taking so long and making the UI slow.

There is no way to remove the retention policies or disable them but you could potentially change your retention policies for releases and see if that helps. What are your retention policies for releases, are you needing to keep lots of them per project or could you perhaps scale it down to keep the last 3 or 4?

The fix for this will not be worked on just yet as it is part of a larger piece of work we will look into and is not just a small code change, it will impact one of the ways Octopus runs so I wanted to let you know this will be worked on soon, but for now we need to find more of a workaround for you at this moment.

Are you able to apply stricter retention to your releases? If not, how many do you have roughly per project?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind Regards,

Clare

Hi @clare.martin,
Yes we do have a lot of releases for each project, so this may be the reason.
How do I go about changing the retention policies for releases, is this at a project level or space level?

Kind regards,
Micheál Power

Hey @mikepower79,

Good question on releases for retention policies. You may have seen this already since you are an experienced Octopus user but our documentation on retention policies has sections in there for releases and how you can clean those up and explains the process a lot better than I could over a forum post. We also have this section which further explains the process. I hope you don’t mind me linking them.

Let me know if you need further clarification on setting those up. I would start high first, if you have a lot of releases and set your policies to say ‘Only keep the last 3 releases’ your retention policies will massively slow your instance down (more than it is already doing) because it has to go through each project and delete a lot of releases.

If you set it to keep say 10 releases and you have 13 per project it will go through and delete three out of each project, once a few days has passed you can check your retention policy tasks and see if its showing no releases need to be deleted. Then drop the value from 13 to 6, repeat etc until you have the right number of releases. Note the part in our doc which says Octopus will never delete releases on a dashboard and will keep the current and previous release (for rollback) so you will never be able to delete a current release or the one prior, which makes this fairly safe to implement.

Hopefully cleaning those up helps, let us know if it doesn’t though.

Kind Regards,

Clare

Hi @clare.martin,
Thanks for the detailed feedback.
I will pass on the relevant information to the space managers so we can do a tidy up and hopefully see some improvement.
Also keep me posted on the Github issue.

Kind regards,
Micheál Power

1 Like

Hi @clare.martin,
Is there also any default setting for the Runbook retention?
It is set to 100 per environment by default and this does not seem to be link to the lifecycle.

Kind regards,
Micheal Power

Hey Micheál,

Runbooks have retention policies that are separate from the Lifecycle retention policies, so you’re right they’re not linked to Lifecycles.

If you’re looking for where to configure the runbook retention policies, you can find these under Project > Runbook > Settings > Retention Policy:

Unfortunately there isn’t a way via the UI to globally configure this setting, but this could be done via the REST API. The following help post demonstrates how to do this:
https://help.octopus.com/t/can-i-set-a-global-runbook-retention-policy/25577/2

I hope that’s helpful, but let me know if you were looking for something else or if I didn’t fully answer your question.

Best,
Patrick

1 Like

Hi @patrick.smergut,
Thanks for the detailed response.

Kind Regards,
Micheál Power

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.