Apply Retention policies failing due to Time out

Hi,
This is related to known issue of Octopus: Task Apply Retention policy is failing due to timeout issue.

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/16322-apply-retention-policies-never-finishes

Below is from the log:
Note that this task only applies Octopus server-side retention policies for releases, events and package retention policies for the built-in package repository. Files on Tentacles will only be deleted when the retention policy is applied at the end of a deployment.
July 28th 2017 09:35:07Fatal
Exception occured while executing a reader for SELECT Deployment.* FROM dbo.VariableSet INNER JOIN dbo.Deployment ON VariableSet.OwnerId = Deployment.Id INNER JOIN dbo.ServerTask ON Deployment.TaskId = ServerTask.Id WHERE ServerTask.[State] IN ('Success', 'Failed', 'TimedOut', 'Canceled') AND Deployment.Id NOT IN (SELECT Id FROM MultiTenancyDashboard)
SQL Error -2 - Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
The wait operation timed out

Also when i try to execute this from SQL Server, it is taking long time to complete, I had to cancel the query as there was no result in 10 min.On bifurcation I found that it finishes quickly if we remove the last part of the query that is (SELECT Id FROM MultiTenancyDashboard)

Hi Pratik,

I don’t believe the issue you linked to is related to your problem here, but we had an issue reported a while back that was fixed in 3.13.10, I’d suggest that you upgrade to the latest version (3.16 will be released in the next day or so and I’d recommend waiting for that release before upgrading).

I hope that helps!

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik