/api/users/me endpoint returns 503 if hosting multiple instances

Our organization has Octopus Server installed with a few different instances, accessible via the name appended to the URL, like so: https://octopus.foo.bar/instance1. There is an API call that occurs at regular intervals (like every second) that is always returning a 503: Service unavailable:

This API call does not include the instance name – when I add it myself (e.g. /instance1/api/users/me), the call completes successfully and I am returned a JSON object containing my user info:

{
  "Id": "Users-1",
  "Username": "Me@foo.bar.com",
  "DisplayName": "Justin",
  "IsActive": true,
  "IsService": false,
  "EmailAddress": "Me@foo.bar.com",
  "CanPasswordBeEdited": true,
  "IsRequestor": true,
  "Identities": [
    {
      "IdentityProviderName": "Active Directory",
      "Claims": {
        "email": {
          "Value": "Me@foo.bar.com",
          "IsIdentifyingClaim": true
        },
        "upn": {
          "Value": "Me@foo.bar.com",
        },
        "sam": {
          "Value": "FOO\\I12345",
        },
        "dn": {
          "Value": "Justin",
          "IsIdentifyingClaim": false
        }
      }
    }
  ],
  "Links": {
    "Self": "/instance1/api/users/Users-1",
    "Permissions": "/instance1/api/users/Users-1/permissions{?spaces,includeSystem}",
    "PermissionsConfiguration": "/instance1/api/users/Users-1/permissions/configuration{?spaces,includeSystem}",
    "Spaces": "/instance1/api/users/Users-1/spaces",
    "Teams": "/instance1/api/users/Users-1/teams{?spaces,includeSystem}",
    "ApiKeys": "/instance1/api/users/Users-1/apikeys{/id}{?skip,take}",
    "Avatar": "https://www.gravatar.com/avatar/80fad08585f8d8f7f620d41cd6607b4f?d=blank"
  }
}

I think this might be a bug when there are multiple instances on one server.

Hi @justinm89,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support.

I tried to do a quick test to reproduce the issue but was unable to break it in my test environment. Can you confirm what version of Octopus you are currently running? In checking our GitHub repo, it looks like we had a PR that addressed this back in May, but I’d like to double-check before recommending an upgrade to fix.

Let me know at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,
Donny

Hey Donny, we are running Octopus Server v2020.6.4671

Hi @justinm89,

Thank you for getting back to me.

It looks like 2020.6.4671 came out before the PR I previously mentioned was pushed to master. Are you in a position where you could upgrade to 2020.6.5449, our release from September 24th? If so, please be sure to take a SQL db backup prior to upgrading.

Let me know your thoughts at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,
Donny

We are in no hurry to get the fix for this, I just wanted to bring it to your attention, but it looks like it’s already been addressed, so we’re all good here. Thanks for your help as always.

Hi @justinm89,

Thank you for getting back to me. We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Once you get a chance to upgrade, let me know if that resolves the issue as we expect.

Otherwise, if you need anything else, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Donny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.