API Key

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to manually set the API key?
We’d like it to be easy to remember, for instance mine could be “CO” and that’s it. We need to authenticate people just for tracking but we don’t need any strong security around it. That’s ok if people can guess it.

Thank you,
Carole

Hi Carole,

We require that API keys start with ‘API-’ and we may enforce a length requirement on them (32 or 33 characters IIRC). That might put some limits on what can be used.

The API key itself is encrypted on disc, but readable and writeable as clear text via RavenDB. We have plans to modify how we handle them, but for now I don’t think changing the key by hand will cause any problems.

Hope this helps,
Nick

Thanks Nicholas, I was able to change the API key.

Carole

Hi,

I am running Octopus Deploy 2.3.6.1385.

Can you tell me more about what “Automatically Upgraded Api Key” mean?

It might be related to that “Automatically Upgraded Api Key” but with the previous version, I used to override the API key for any new users with a very simple one like API-hihi. With the new version, if I browse the Raven DB and override it (i.e. I edit a user json file and set the API-Key) then after I save it it disappears and is shown as null. I don’t understand what’s happening can you help?

Finally, I can’t see my Api key in my profile anymore as it used to be. I attached a screenshot. (is this out of date? https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/OctopusDeploy-Api/wiki/Authentication)

Thank you.
Kind regards.

ApiKeys.PNG

Hi Carole,

Thanks for getting in touch. In previous versions of Octopus, each user had one API key which we kept as plain-text. More recently, we made it possible to create API keys with different names (for different purposes) and we encrypt them. Since API keys require a name, and since we couldn’t delete everybody’s old API keys that didn’t have names, when we migrated them we gave them names (thus, “Automatically Upgraded Api Key”).

We have a blog post with some more information on the change here:

Hope that helps!

And you’re right about the page being out of date - API keys can now be found on an API Keys tab on your profile page. We’ll update the documentation shortly.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Ok, thank you for you answer.

Carole