API. Filter deployments. Can we specify multiple taskState filters?

Hello,
we’re trying to get a list of all deployments that are currently being run for the specified project. We start with the query: /api/deployments?projects=projects-123&taskState=Executing

The thing is, we also want to get deployments which are Queued as well (because apparently they are “running” in some sense). Can we do this with a single query? Or we should do 2 queries with different taskState and then merge results?

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Unfortunately, the taskState parameter only allows a single value, so you’ll have to do 2 queries and merge them.

We are considering an API re-write to enable better querying scenarios like this, so this should get easier in future.

Hope that helps!

Matt

Hello Matt, thanks for the answer!

BTW, could we please get a detailed descriptions on upgrade notes when API changes? Because, for example, with upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 API was changed in a non-backward compatible way (for “deploy nuget package” step), which caused some troubles given that it was highly unexpected. We rely on API quite heavily.

Hi Dmitry,

Sorry that we didn’t make that clearer. We’ve started a bit of work to firm up our backwards compatibility promises to prevent this kind of situation in the future.

Are you able to give me a bit more information on the specific scenario that we broke and the troubles you faced?

Thanks,
Matt

Hello.

You have changed action property names in project Api:
“Octopus.Action.Package.NuGetFeedId” -> “Octopus.Action.Package.FeedId”
“Octopus.Action.Package.NuGetPackageId” -> “Octopus.Action.Package.PackageId”

Hi Andry,

Sorry about that. We put a fair bit of effort into making that one backwards and forwards compatible, but it appears we missed an edge case.

I’m told that for a step created prior to the upgrade, it should return both old and new properties on a query (with the same value), and support both old and new property on create. For a new step, it appears it wont return the old property name.

Does this match the behaviour you saw?

That said, it was something that should have been mentioned in the release notes, as the old properties will eventually be removed. We’ve updated them to include a note about them.

Once again, my apologies for causing you pain.

Regards,

Matt