Any way to reference a package in a community step

Is there a way to reference a package in a community step. I ask this because I like the “Run - Windows Installer” community step but I don’t see a way to reference a nuget package which contains the MSI file. What I’m having to do is use a separate “Deploy a Package” step just to download the package to the server and then run the “Run - Windows Installer” community step to deploy the MSI file. I would like to do this in one step. This would also allow me to use the feature, “Skip any package step that is already installed”.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for getting in touch! This is a great question, and while I don’t think it’ll be possible to accomplish this in a single step, I think you can get the result you’re after by making a copy of the community step (which you can grab the source code of and customize it in any way you need), and reference the package from it using the Packages in Script Steps feature.

This feature was introduced in 2018.8.0, and you can read more in depth info on the following doc page and blog post.

Would this approach be viable in your scenario? Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Yes, this approach is a viable solution. Thank you for the assistance.

Hi Ron,

You’re very welcome, and glad to hear that helps. :slight_smile:

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns in the future.

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.