An unexpected error occurred in Octopus v2019.3.2: "TypeError: Cannot read property 'toLowerCase' of null"

Hi Octo Support,

We’re getting an error any time we search our Certificates with any value. Are you able to assist? See below.

EDIT:

Summary:

• Cannot search certificates (see below screen error)
  • Cannot Archive and Delete certificates
  • Cannot replace certificates

An unexpected error occurred in Octopus v2019.3.2: “TypeError: Cannot read property ‘toLowerCase’ of null”

FULL Exception:

Octopus v2019.3.2

TypeError: Cannot read property ‘toLowerCase’ of null

applyFilter (/app/components/form/CertificateSearch/CertificateSearch.tsx:95:35)
render (/app/components/List/List.tsx:53:74)
render (/app/components/List/List.tsx:53:47)
Yg (/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.production.min.js:169:128)
Wg (/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.production.min.js:168:256)
b.tag=0,S (/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.production.min.js:176:0)
hi (/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.production.min.js:221:15)
ii (/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.production.min.js:222:280)
Ki (/node_modules/react-dom/cjs/react-dom.production.min.js:238:232)

Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you’ve hit this issue when searching your certificates. Unfortunately I haven’t had any luck in reproducing this issue in 2019.3.2. Are you able to navigate the long way to the specific certificate you’re trying to search for? If so, could you send a screenshot of the configuration of this certificate (showing its usage and which environments are allowed for it)? I’m hoping that provides enough info to reproduce.

Feel free to sanitize any other details in the screenshot or send it through privately to our email (support at octopus dot com).

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

To give you a specific example:

• Searching for API leads to the above screenshot “TypeError: Cannot read property ‘toLowerCase’ of null”
  • We cannot replace/archive/delete api-accountmaster.XXX.XX
    Name: api-accountmaster.XXX.XX
    Environments: PROD
    Tenanted Deployments: Exclude from Tenanted Deployments

I took some time with my manager to look through the database. We found that with two of our invalid certificates, the “Subject common name” was Null. The search error indicates a null value not being able to be read.

We haven’t had these issues with invalid certs in the past. Since the upgrade, it appears invalid certs break the search function and cannot be edited/archived/deleted.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for following up and providing that additional information. We’ve actually still been unable to reproduce this bug, however we think it’ll be a fairly straight forward code fix to prevent this from happening in the future. I’ve raised this issue at the following link for you to track.

I’m sorry again about the inconvenience this issue has caused you! Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns going forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Thank you, Kenneth. I will keep track for the resolution of this error.

1 Like

A fix for this issue will ship in 2019.3.6 (LTS) and 2019.5.11 (Fast Lane), most likely next week.

Hi Nick,

Thank you for letting me know. We will take this into account prior to our production upgrade at the end of July.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.