An exception was thrown while invoking the constructor on type 'PackageService'

Hi Paul,

just testing out the 1.0.13.13 version. The new UI looks great, although I did like the green and purple.

I’ve set up an environment, a machine within that environment and a project with a single package from our TC7 feed to deploy.

I’ve created a release for this project and kicked a deploy.

The package is successfully downloaded but when it tries to push the package to the tentacle the following exception is thrown

2012-06-20 08:55:58 INFO Preparing to upload packages
2012-06-20 08:55:58 INFO Uploading packages…
2012-06-20 08:55:58 ERROR System.ServiceModel.FaultException1[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: An exception was thrown while invoking the constructor 'Void .ctor(Octopus.Shared.Configuration.ITentacleConfiguration, Octopus.Shared.Util.IOctopusFileSystem)' on type 'PackageService'. (Fault Detail is equal to An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is: Autofac.Core.DependencyResolutionException: An exception was thrown while invoking the constructor 'Void .ctor(Octopus.Shared.Configuration.ITentacleConfiguration, Octopus.Shared.Util.IOctopusFileSystem)' on type 'PackageService'. ----> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: path1 at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2) at Octopus.Tentacle.Services.Packages.PackageService..ctor(ITentacleConfiguration tentacleConfiguration, IOctopusFileSystem fileSystem) in c:\BuildAgent\work\7bf5272a44079f5\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Services\Packages\PackageService.cs:line 19 --- End of inner ExceptionDetail stack trace --- at Autofac.Core.Activators.Reflection.ConstructorParameterBinding.Instantiate() at Autofac.Core.Activators.Reflection.ReflectionActivator.ActivateInstance(IComponentContext context, IEnumerable1 parameters)
at Autofac.Core.Resolving.InstanceLookup.Act…).

Both the server and tentacle are on the same box.

Regards

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the feedback and the bug report. Are you able to run the Tentacle admin tool again, and possibly change the path from C:\Applications to something else, save the change, then change it back, save that, and then restart the Tentacle service?

My guess is that the default setting hasn’t been stored - I’ll get an update out tonight.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Looks as though the tentacle admin tool is not doing anything with the application path.

Whatever this is set to, the next time I start the tool it’s back to ‘C:\Octopus\Tentacle\Applications’

Don’t know if it’s relevant but I did install over the top of a 0.9.620.4 tentacle

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

After you change the path, a little Save button should appear just underneath - if you click that it should disappear and the change should be persisted (now that I think about it, it’s a bad UX). Does that work?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry, didn’t spot the button.

Yep that’s worked and resolved the upload issue.

Bruce

Great, but sounds like I definitely need to fix that UX!

Thanks Bruce.

Paul