After update Step Template password field no longer shows binding expression

I just noticed my binding expression is gone after I update a step of which the underlying step template was updated.
We’re using Octopus Deploy v3.8.5.

Steps to reproduce:

• Make sure you have a Step Template with a Step Template Parameter of Control type Sensitive/Password box or select one from the Community Library and click Save a copy.
  • Create a step in your process based on this Step Template and enter a binding expression (ie.#{myPassword}) in the password field.
  • Save the step and reopen it. You should still see the binding expression.

Binding expression is still there

• Now make a small change in the step template and save the changes. Your step is now needs updating.
  • Open the step and press the Update button in the This step needs to be updated section. Save the step.
  • If the step is now reopend, the binding expression is gone. You will only see a grey password box with stars.

Binding expression gone after the step has been updated

Kind regards,

Emiel

After_update.JPG

Before_update.JPG

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately it looks like you’ve hit [an existing bug in Octopus] (https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2954). The good news is that only this week we started work on redesigning the way step template updates are applied. You can track this GitHub issue to see how the work progresses.

Please let me know if this doesn’t solve your problem.

Regards,

Pawel

Hello Pawel,

It looks like the expression is still doing its job. It’s only not visible in the UI that it is still bound to the expression.

Kind regards,

Emiel

Hi Emil,

Thanks for reporting back the details. I still think it is the same bug but it just manifests itself in a different way.

I’m glad you have a workaround and we will make sure your scenario works as expected when our work that I mentioned above is done.

Regards,

Pawel