After changing package naming convention, Octopus is pulling wrong package

Hi there. We changed the naming convention and now we notice that octopus is pulling the wrong package out of our library. We suspect it is because our new naming convention sorts differently from our old naming convention. How can we move all the old packages with the old naming convention out of the library?

Or should we just tweak our naming convention so that newer packages sort correctly w.r.t. the older packages?


Thanks for getting in touch! Your idea to tweak your naming convention to sort your newer versions correctly would be the easiest solution. However if this isn’t ideal, could you expand a bit on your scenario? Are you using the built-in repo or external feeds? Any additional information will be helpful in getting to the best solution possible. :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,


I’m relatively new to Octopus so not 100% sure I understand the question but I reckon right answer is:

Ø We are uploading zip files containing built artifacts from TeamCity to Octopus Deploy.



Hi JG,

Thanks for following up and confirming that you’re using the built-in package repository. Besides tweaking your naming convention, there are a couple of options that I think could possibly help:

  1. Apply a retention policy to delete unused packages. This will eventually help once the oldest existing package version matches your new convention.

  2. Specify the package version to use via the --package=VALUE parameter in Octo.exe (which the TeamCity plugin uses)

  3. Configure a version rule for your channel to only accept package versions that exist within the range of your new convention.

I hope this helps! Let me know what you think or if you have any further questions moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,


This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.