Add environment in lifecycle using powershell

How do I add environment in lifecycle using powershell script or cmd?

Hi Max,

Thanks for getting in touch! I found a sample script in our API script repo that uses the Octopus.Client (an open source .NET client library) which will add a new phase to an existing lifecycle. I’m wondering if that suits your needs nicely? You could also use that as a template and tweak as needed if you’re looking to do something slightly different, like add an environment to an already existing phase.

I hope that helps, and let us know how you go!

Best regards,

Kenny

Thank you Kenneth, but I am facing some issue in my script.

My script:
Add-Type -Path ‘’

$apikey = ‘’ # Get this from your profile
$octopusURI = ‘’ # Your Octopus Server address

$endpoint = New-Object Octopus.Client.OctopusServerEndpoint($octopusURI,$apikey)
$client = New-Object Octopus.Client.OctopusClient($endpoint)

$lifecycle = $client.Repository.Lifecycles.FindByName(“dev”)

Error:
You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.

• $lifecycle = $client.Repository.Lifecycles.FindByName(“dev”)
  •   + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

Hi @maxjose88,

Thanks for following up! Sorry to see you hit some trouble running that sample script. I did a bit of debugging on it, and looks like it didn’t properly account for the repo within a space. I got it working as expected with some tweaks, and I’ll paste the full script below.

Add-Type -Path 'path\to\Octopus.Client.dll' 

$server = ""
$apikey = ""
$SpaceName = ""
$LifecycleName = "" # Lifecycle to add the new phase to
$PhaseName = "" # Name of the new phase to create
$EnvironmentName = "" # Name of the environment to add to the phase

# Create endpoint and client
$endpoint = New-Object Octopus.Client.OctopusServerEndpoint($server, $apikey)
$client = New-Object Octopus.Client.OctopusClient($endpoint)

# Get default repository and get space by name
$repository = $client.ForSystem()
$space = $repository.Spaces.FindByName($SpaceName)

# Get space specific repository and get all projects in space
$repo = $client.ForSpace($space)

# We need to grab the entire Lifecycle object as all changes to it must be saved as an entire complete Lifecycle object.
$lifecycle = $repo.Lifecycles.FindByName($LifecycleName) # Lifecycle name to add a phase to.
# We need the Environment-id to tell the phase which environment to associate with it.
$Environment = $repo.Environments.FindByName($EnvironmentName).Id # Environment name to add to phase.

# Create new $phase object and add requisite values.
$phase = New-Object Octopus.Client.Model.PhaseResource
$phase.Name = $PhaseName # Rename what you want.
$phase.OptionalDeploymentTargets.Add($Environment)
$phase.MinimumEnvironmentsBeforePromotion = 0

# Phase's retention Policy
#$phase.ReleaseRetentionPolicy = [Octopus.Client.Model.RetentionPeriod]::new(0,[Octopus.Client.Model.RetentionUnit]::Items) #Unlimmited Releases
$phase.ReleaseRetentionPolicy = [Octopus.Client.Model.RetentionPeriod]::new(2,[Octopus.Client.Model.RetentionUnit]::Days) #2 days
#$phase.TentacleRetentionPolicy = [Octopus.Client.Model.RetentionPeriod]::new(0,[Octopus.Client.Model.RetentionUnit]::Items)
$phase.TentacleRetentionPolicy = [Octopus.Client.Model.RetentionPeriod]::new(2,[Octopus.Client.Model.RetentionUnit]::Days) #2 days

# Add this $phase object to our $lifecycle object.
$lifecycle.Phases.Add($phase)

# Modify the Lifecycle with our new $lifecycle object containing our new phase.
$client.Repository.Lifecycles.Modify($lifecycle)

I’ll make sure to update the script body in the sample I linked to. Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Thank you, It worked

Hi @maxjose88,

Great to hear, thanks for confirming! Don’t hesitate to get in touch if we can try to help with anything in the future. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.