ActionTemplateEdit permission to allow users to 'add variable template' variables to projects

Hi,

Recently I had to deal to enable users to add project variable templates to their projects as “save button” was hidden for them. After try&error I found the missing permission: ActionTemplateEdit.

I couldn’t find any related tenants-vairiable-tempaltes docs explaining this, also looks weird (at least to me) that that permissions is used for variable templates as the permission description states: “Edit step templates”

I think this should be clarified.
Regards,
cris-

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for getting in touch and reporting this issue to us.

This would’ve been an oversight when developing these features and I’ve raised #3038 to have this rectified as soon as possible.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

Hey,

I’m using octopus deploy 3.8.0, but can’t seem to find how to give the permission to add project variable templates. I’ve tried both the ActionTemplateEdit and VariableEdit permissions.

Same problem here with version 3.8.0

Hi Cristian and Ville,

Could you do a hard refresh in your browser (Ctrl+F5) and see if that fixes the issue? Could you also check if there are any errors in the developer console that could hint at what is wrong.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Hard refresh doesn’t work and the only “error” I can see is:

2017-01-24 14:32:07.1822     80  WARN  You do not have permission to perform this action. Please contact your Octopus administrator. Missing permission: AdministerSystem (test_user requesting http://xxxxx/api/upgradeconfiguration)

I have ActionTemplateCreate|Edit|View + VariableEdit|View + VariableUnscopedEdit|View, running 3.8.0

Note: if i add user to admin group then “save button” in project variables template is shown.

Hey Henrik,

It seems that we are getting a similar error as Cristian,

“ErrorMessage”: “You do not have permission to perform this action. Please contact your Octopus administrator. Missing permission: AdministerSystem”,

“HelpText”: “This action requires permission to perform system-level configuration tasks and access control. None of your teams have this permission. Teams that have enough permission include: Octopus Administrators.”

Also from page https://xxxx/octopus/api/upgradeconfiguration

Hi Cristian and Ville,

Could I get you to go to Teams->Test permissions, select the user that you’re having the issue with and then click the Export button and send through the export to me as I’m unable to replicate the issue using our demo site (which is running 3.8.2). If you don’t want to share the file publicly in this ticket, feel free to send it to support at octopus dot com referencing this ticket and I’ll pick them up from there.

Thanks,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Find attached my test_user permissions file. With these permissions enabled we cannot create project variables template (save button is not visible). Only adding this user to Octopus Administrators team will make the save button visible. Please note we are running 3.8.0.

Regards,
cris-

Looks like this forum doesn’t like to attach csv files… I upload again the permissions file using zip format.

Permissions_export.zip (698 Bytes)

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for sending through that info for me, I’ve been able to replicate the issue now locally and have raised #3112 and have a fix for it ready and it will be released early next week.

Thank you and my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this bug.
Henrik

Nice to hear the issue has been located :slight_smile:

Thank you for the fast replies and fix!

I would like to confirm that is working now after updating to 3.8.4. Thanks~

Thanks Cristian for confirming that the issue has now been fixed!

Cheers,
Henrik