Acquire packages

Hi! We offen get the error:

Error:

Acquire packages
The step failed: Activity failed with error 'The remote script failed with exit code 1'.

What we tried to do?

• Update Octopus deploy to last version (now it’s - 2023.1.9767) but it’s not help us.

Any idey for solving the problem?

Hi @vrublevsky,

Thanks for reaching out to Octopus Support! I’d be happy to help troubleshoot why you’re experiencing this error in your deployments.

Would you mind sending us a copy of the raw task log from this failed deployment? It may also be helpful if you could send us a copy of the tentacle logs from the machine that ran the failed deployment. I will send you a secure upload link you can use to send those files.

Does this happen across multiple deployment targets, or are there specific machines that you see this on? Does this happen on every deployment, or do some deployments succeed on these targets?

I look forward to hearing back, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Dan

@dan_close Thx for the answer!

Would you mind sending us a copy of the [raw task log ](https://octopus.com/docs/support/get-the-raw-output-from-a-task) from this failed deployment? It may also be helpful if you could send us a copy of the [tentacle logs ](https://octopus.com/docs/support/log-files#Logfiles-Findingthelogfiles) from the machine that ran the failed deployment. I will send you a secure upload link you can use to send those files.

Sure, I uploaded the files you requested via your link.

Does this happen across multiple deployment targets, or are there specific machines that you see this on?

It’s happen across multiple deployment targets.

Does this happen on every deployment, or do some deployments succeed on these targets?

This happening in random time, we have not found a pattern when this happens. When we encounter this problem, we just do a redeploy and it continues to work fine.

Hi @vrublevsky,

Thanks for sending those over. Unfortunately, it’s hard to see exactly what is going on based on the info we have so far. From your description of the behavior, it could be a transient network issue, but we can continue investigating.

Could I have you send us a System Diagnostic report as well? I’m curious to see if the connection errors are reflected in your instance logs. You can use the same upload link to send that.

While we continue to look into this, I also wanted to send our Tentacle troubleshooting guide. The doc gives a few helpful things you can look for on your end. I look forward to hearing back and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Dan

Could I have you send us a System Diagnostic report as well?

Sure, I uploaded the file you requested via your link.

Hello @dan_close! Any updates about this?

Hi @vrublevsky,

Unfortunately, the server logs had no errors that aligned with the failed deployment. I’ve realized you are running an HA configuration, though, so we would likely see something on the logs from the other server.

If I could get one more round of logs, I think I have a potential lead I can investigate. Would it be possible to get the raw task log from a successful and failed deployment and the Octopus server logs from both servers from that day? I believe this may be related to the PackageCache on the servers, and I’m hoping we can find something that confirms that.

I look forward to hearing back, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Dan

@dan_close Could you please update link for upload?

Hi @vrublevsky ,

I’ve sent over a new upload link. I look forward to hearing back, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Dan

Uploaded a fresh version of the logs and a new error

Hi @vrublevsky,

Thanks for sending over the new logs. Do you happen to have a successful deployment of the Deploy Monitoring Helmfile project you could send as well?

I should have asked this sooner, but do you know if you have any Antivirus installed on your workers? Often when we see deployments fail in this way, it’s caused by AV so I just wanted to see if that is in play.

Can you also tell me if you have our ServiceNow Integration enabled for this project? I’m seeing an interesting error in your instance logs that line up with the deployment you sent, and I’m trying to find out if it’s related or just a red herring.

Thanks!

@dan_close Could you please update link for upload?

Hi @vrublevsky

Your new upload link is here for you: Support Files

If you have any issues let me know.

Kind Regards
Sean

hello, I am a colleague of Vrublevsky and tried to use your link, but there is a message that “Access has expired”. Can you resend link?

Good morning @sobolevskaya,

Thank you for replying, I am sorry you were unable to access the link, they are locked to an email address which is why you were unable to access it.

I have created you a new link here you can use which you will need to access via the email address you use for this forum.

Let me know if you cannot access that though and I can see if I can find another way for you to upload the project Dan was asking for.

Kind Regards,
Clare

it’s okay, thank you. I uploaded raw log successful deploy. We don’t have any AV on workers. Also we don’t use ServiceNow Integration

@sean.stanway , @clare.martin when you can see log?

Hi @sobolevskaya,

Thanks for sending over the successful deployment log. Unfortunately, we’re not seeing anything that stands out if AntiVirus isn’t part of the equation.

Is this behavior easily reproducible? If it is, would you be open to having a call where we can take a look in real time? If that is an option, please let me know which timezone you’re located in so we can coordinate with the appropriate support team?

Thanks!
Dan

hello, in general, we can try to reproduce together. My timezone is GMT+1, I can call you at any time from 9 am to 6 pm

Dan??