Accessing tentacle behind Amazon Load Balancer (ELB)

Hi,

I installed Tentacle on an Amazon EC2 instance that’s sitting behind a load balancer. When I attempt to add the machine on Octopus Server, it’s not finding it. If i bypass the load balancer and use the machine’s direct IP address, it will work. This led me to the conclusion that the load balancer wasn’t configured properly.

After checking, I realized that the server and tentacle communicate using SSL. When adding the tentacle port for listening on the load balancer, I can specify SSL (Secure TCP) but I have to give it the public and private keys. Where can I find those?

Hi Jason,

Thanks for getting in touch! Very sorry about the delay in getting back to you about this this message was caught in spam and was found thanks to the link you provided in the other ticket.
Before we go into some details here about the SSL certificates, could I ask some more questions about your setup.
If you have Tentacles behind a load balancer, are the machines setup with some kind of replication system, or do all of them require to be updated via Octopus?
If the latter is the case, using the Private IP for each machine and Octopus directly connecting to them for deployment would be the ideal solution.
Otherwise it will only deploy to the currently active machine and the others will be out of date.

Please let me know what you think, and maybe a better idea of the environment will help us provide a better suggestion.
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Actually, what I ended up doing was using the same license to spin up an Octopus instance within the VPC. This way, no firewall or SSL changes were needed in order to work with the load balancer and nothing is exposed to the internet at-large. I didn’t want to connect to the private IP’s because those change if the instance is ever shut down or rebooted, and I didn’t want to use Elastic IP’s since those are limited to 5 per account.

Thanks for the assistance,
Jason

image001.jpg

Hi Jason,

Sounds like you found a great solution, thanks for sharing.

Vanessa