Accessing SSH Account in Powershell Step Template

I’m trying to set up an SFTP deployment to an Akamai Net Storage space.

I’ve found the “Upload Files by FTP” step template, which is a good starting point, however we connect to the SFTP host via a username and private key (as per the SSH accounts) and this step template assumes a Username and Password.

I’d like to:

1. Create an SSH Account using my username and private key.
  2. Add a variable of type “SSH Account” to by step template
  3. Access the features of the SSH Account within my template to pass the username, key and any passphrase to the WinSCP component to connect to my SFTP server.

I can’t see an “SSH Account” variable type - is there a way I can access the SSH accounts through a Powershell step template?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately we don’t expose SSH Account information, and there’s no SSH Account type variable like there is with Azure or AWS accounts. You could define some variables (either in your project or in a connected variable set) that holds this information which you could then bind to these parameters.

Additionally, the values used on custom step templates are taken from the project’s variables (or its connected variable set), so variables holding required information would be defined in one of these places instead of in the step template.

I hope this helps! Let me know what you think, or if I’ve misinterpreted what you’re after. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for getting back - that’s what I thought was the case. I’m aware that I can then set these variables through the project - I was hoping for a similar process to the older Azure Web App steps where the Azure Account can be selected (or reference a bound variable for different scopes) - but really I wanted an appropriate way to store the Key file in Octopus like the SSH Account along with it’s pass phrase, rather than having to store it somewhere on the filesystem and hope that the server can reach it (one more thing to document for disaster recovery).

Is this something that you would consider adding to the roadmap at all?

Thanks,

Ben

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.