Access is denied: AWSSDK.Core.dll

Hello,

I ran into this issue yesterday:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: (5) Access is denied: [\?[custompath]\AWSSDK.Core.dll]

It errored out on 2 of our production servers! (out of 8) which in turn, caused the other steps to not complete resulting in the entire servers in the environment to fail. The only changes I made was adding my AWS account in Octopus Deploy. I would like to know what I can do to prevent this issue from happening in the future.

Hi Tony, sorry to hear you are having issues.

Are you saying that adding an AWS account to the system without adding it as project variable i.e. without it being in use by a project and without upgrading has led to steps being broken? [\?[custompath]\AWSSDK.Core.dll] does not look familiar at all, is this a community step template by chance?

We are also going to need you to attach the raw task log for one of the given projects where the deployment is failing to get a better understanding of what is going on here.

Regards,
Shaun Marx

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for assisting, I have attached a raw log file of when the error occurred. This was not a community step nor does the project has anything to do with AWS other than the files being hosted in AWS. The only changes I have made regarding to AWS in my Octopus Deploy was adding my AWS account. We previously deployed without issue on the same server and have not touched anything on the server (including updating)

ServerTasks-9595.log.txt (226.3 KB)

Hi Tony,

That’s quite interesting. Those modules don’t seem to be the ones we bundle with Octopus and don’t follow any of our conventions which makes me believe it’s not part of our tooling but rather belongs to the application being deployed. The assemblies being deleted seemed to be locked by a process? Is this possibly due to a web host having the files locked or possibly anti-virus?

Could you also confirm whether theAWSSDK files are inside of the CLS@S14.5.2.2@68AF30C0A0F23C47BEDD7B374D81B6A6.nupkg NuGet package. I would have expected a different error for this but may be worthwhile to check.

Regards,
Shaun Marx

Hi Shaun,

You’re right, the modules are part of the package. I will discuss with the devs further about this, but consider this issue resolved. Thanks for the help.

Hi Tony, no problem at all.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with :slight_smile:

Regards,
Shaun