A deployed release now throwing errors

I have a release that has been deployed to multiple environments, but now when I try to see the details of the release or want to update the variables, I am receiving an error:

in PermissionCheck
in LifecycleProgression
in div
in PermissionCheck
in PermissionCheck
in div
in div
in div
in TransitionAnimation
in div
in div
in PaperLayout
in ReleaseInternal
in Unknown
in Unknown
in Page
in p
in DatabaseComponentContextProvider
in FieldErrorContextProvider
in ErrorContextProvider
in Unknown
in RenderWithPage
in t
in ErrorBoundaryInternal
in ReloadableRoute
in t
in SlugSafeRedirect
in withRouter(SlugSafeRedirect)
in t
in ErrorBoundaryInternal
in ReloadableRoute
in t
in ReleasesRoute
in t
in ErrorBoundaryInternal
in ReloadableRoute
in t
in t
in ErrorBoundaryInternal
in ReloadableRoute
in DeploymentsRoute
in withRouter(DeploymentsRoute)
in t
in ErrorBoundaryInternal
in ReloadableRoute
in t
in ErrorBoundaryInternal
in RouteAwareErrorBoundary
in div
in div
in Unknown
in t
in Unknown
in MediaQuery
in div
in NavigationSidebarLayout
in withRouter(NavigationSidebarLayout)
in main
in ProjectContextProvider
in ProjectLayoutInternal
in ErrorContextProvider
in Unknown
in SlugSafeRedirect
in withRouter(SlugSafeRedirect)
in t
in ErrorBoundaryInternal
in ReloadableRoute
in t
in ProjectRoutes
in n
in t
in ErrorBoundaryInternal
in ReloadableRoute
in t
in t
in RootRoutes
in withRouter(RootRoutes)
in SpaceLoader
in WithPersistedSpace
in p
in withRouter(Connect(WithPersistedSpace))
in div
in StandardLayoutInternal
in p
in t
in ErrorBoundaryInternal
in ReloadableRoute
in SecureRoute
in t
in Unknown
in Unknown
in t
in t
in Unknown
in DevToolsContextProvider
in ClientConnector
in W
in t
in Unknown
in h
in Unknown
in p
in ErrorContextProvider
in ErrorBoundaryInternal
in c
in App```

Hi @DIST_Technology_Dev_Systems,

Thanks for posting your issue, and I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing that behavior.

I found two known issues that could be causing this, so I’m wondering if you think either of these looks like it might match?

Let me know what you think and we can go from there.

Best,

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

I am not 100% but I don’t think either of those are our issue.

1. This deployment was manually pushed to our prod environment.
  2. Other releases for the same project, using the same lifecycle doesn’t have the issue.

It kinda seems more to do with an Environment in a Stage, but I can’t see an issue with the env. But, other Project use the same lifecycle and don’t have the issue.

Hey @DIST_Technology_Dev_Systems,

Thanks for getting back to me with those additional details, and I agree this does seem to be a bit different from those GitHub issues.

I was wondering if you see anything further in the Octopus server log when you attempt to access the problematic release? The logs are in your home folder, usually at C:\Octopus\Logs by default. You’re also welcome to send the latest log through to me for review using the following secure link:

DIST_Technology_Dev_Systems | Octopus Support

Let me know what you find!

Best regards,
Patrick

Hello @patrick.smergut

I submitted logs from both of our Octopus Pods in our EKS cluster.
The user would be Jesse Piccolo that was trying to access the Release

Thanks for sending those logs through!

I’ve reviewed them but unfortunately, I’m not seeing much information outside of normal operations with web requests in them. Possibly this indicates there’s something client-side going on, so I was wondering if you’ve tried a private browsing tab or clearing the cache to see if it helps?

If that doesn’t change the behavior, would you be willing to capture a .HAR file while attempting to access this release, and send it over to me? We have instructions on how to do this here, and you can use the same link I provided earlier.

Let me know if you send a HAR file through, and I’ll have a look at it.

Best regards,
Patrick

@patrick.smergut

Different browser (FireFox) and Incognito Chrome didn’t change the behavior.

I uploaded a HAR file

Thanks!

Thanks for sending the HAR file through.

I expected to see some sort of error corresponding to the one you’re experiencing, but unfortunately everything looks normal in the HAR, as well.

I wanted to make sure you started the network capture prior to attempting to access the problematic release, and you saw the error after the network tab was up? Sorry to ask, but I just don’t want to overlook anything!

Do you see any errors in the web console when you attempt to load this release? Perhaps sending me a screenshot of that might shed some light on what’s causing this.

Best,
Patrick

Hey @patrick.smergut
I have had a couple more cases of this happen, and I think I see a possible root cause.

First I had this happen were we removed a Library Variable Set from a project, after that we would get the sql error. Creating a new Release would resolve this issue.

Then in a different Project we changed the scope of a variable in a Project Var Set and the same issue happen. This changes was swapping Environment Scopes on a var.

It seems to be tied to Variable changes happening, either scopes or whole sets being removed

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me with the additional details on when you’re seeing this behavior.

When you say that creating a new release resolves the issue, does that mean the error goes away for the old release, or that you’re just able to work around this with a new release that doesn’t have the Library Variable Set included?

Normally when a Library Variable Set gets removed from a project and it was involved in a release, we’d see an error regarding the missing Library Variable Set but I’m not sure why you’re not seeing that specific error and it’s not showing up in the logs or a HAR file. I did find one instance of some similar behavior (regarding the obscured error) where the user restarted their Octopus instance and it allowed them to see meaningful errors again, so that may be something to try if you haven’t yet.

I was wondering if you’d be able to reattempt the HAR capture with these new reproduction details and send it over to me so I can take a look?

I’m looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.