500 server error when deleting a Deployment step

When trying to Delete a Deployment Step from a project I got the attached error message. After seeing the error message any page I browsed to returned a generic 500 page until I restarted the Octopus Service. The only error message I found in the Event View is listed below. However I think it might be from when I restarted the service:

“”""""""""""

The description for Event ID 0 from source Octopus cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

2012-01-26 10:33:26,888 [10] WARN Octopus [(null)] - Outstanding Tentacle health check tasks were not completed before the next round of health checks was scheduled. If this error persists, please post on http://help.octopusdeploy.com to let us know this is a problem for you.

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table
“”"""""""""""

octo-500.png

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch. This is a problem caused by a foreign key reference from another entity - my guess is that there is possibly a Variable referencing the step?

The reason Octopus stopped responding afterwards is because the transaction wasn’t committed or rolled back (due to a bug).

I’m on top of both of these issues and they will be fixed in the release scheduled for Feb 5. For now, can you check if any Variables point to the step, and if so, delete them before deleting the step?

Paul

Paul,
Thanks for the quick response. Deleting the variable referencing the step did solve my issue. I’ll try to remember to check if it is fixed after the Feb 5 release, for the bug fix.

Brian

Paul,
In v 0.9.620.3 It seem I will still get a 500 error while deleting, but the nice thing is Octopus keeps on chugging afterwards. No need to restart. I’d say big improvement. The nice to have would be if it removed the variable too, but I think not crashing is far more important. Thanks Paul.

Brian

Hi Brian,

All of these issues should be resolved in 1.0 builds of Octopus. Thanks for your patience!

Paul