3.2.1 Tentacle Defaulting to SSL even if the hostname given was not HTTPS?

I have auto provisioning for our Dev stacks building every day and tearing down every night.

On start these machines download the latest tentacle msi and install it using a set powershell script.

As of today the tentacle.exe register-with step is failing with the warning:

If you can view this page, your Octopus Server is configured and ready to accept requests from Polling Tentacles.
This landing page is displayed when no X509 certificate is provided. Only Octopus Tentacles with a trusted certificate can connect to this Octopus Server

Please note the octopus hostname that I am specifying in that command does not use https.

Is this the new default behavior?

Hi Chase,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Could you please send through the register-with command you are using to register that Tentacle with?

It should not matter if the Octopus URL uses http/https.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

Henrik,

Here is my register with command:

& “C:\Octopus\Tentacle.exe” register-with --instance “Tentacle” --server $server --name $name --username $username --password $password --comms-style “TentacleActive” --server-comms-port “10943” --force --environment $environment --role $role --console

So maybe this would be more informative. Its from the C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Octopus\Logs\OctopusTentacle.txt log.

2015-11-09 18:21:44.9680 1 INFO Checking connectivity on the server communications port 10943…
2015-11-09 18:21:45.5148 1 ERROR ===============================================================================
2015-11-09 18:21:45.5148 1 FATAL The service listening on https://octopus.xxxxxxxx.com:10943/ does not appear to be an Octopus server
. The response was:
<!doctype html>

Octopus Server body { font-family: 'Segoe UI', 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; }
    h1 {                                                                                                                                
        font-size: 15pt;                                                                                                                
        font-weight: 400;                                                                                                               
        margin-top: 7pt;                                                                                                                
        margin-bottom: 7pt;                                                                                                             
    }                                                                                                                                   
</style>                                                                                                                                

Octopus Server configured successfully

If you can view this page, your Octopus Server is configured and ready to accept requests from Polling Tentacles.

This landing page is displayed when no X509 certificate is provided. Only Octopus Tentacles with a trusted certificate can connect t o this Octopus Server.

System.Exception: The service listening on https://octopus.xxxxxx.com:10943/ does not appear to be an Octopus server. The response was: Octopus Server body { font-family: 'Segoe UI', 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; }
    h1 {                                                                                                                                
        font-size: 15pt;                                                                                                                
        font-weight: 400;                                                                                                               
        margin-top: 7pt;                                                                                                                
        margin-bottom: 7pt;                                                                                                             
    }                                                                                                                                   
</style>                                                                                                                                

This landing page is displayed when no X509 certificate is provided. Only Octopus Tentacles with a trusted certificate can connect t o this Octopus Server.

at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RegisterMachineCommand.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.b__1() in Y:\work\refs\ta gs\3.2.1\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RegisterMachineCommand.cs:line 149 at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RegisterMachineCommand.Retry(Action action, Int32 retryCount, TimeSpan initalDelay, Double backOffFactor) i n Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.1\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RegisterMachineCommand.cs:line 124 at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RegisterMachineCommand.CheckServerCommunicationsPortIsOpen(Uri serverAddress) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.1\so urce\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RegisterMachineCommand.cs:line 137 at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RegisterMachineCommand.Start() in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.1\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RegisterMachineC ommand.cs:line 73 at Octopus.Shared.Startup.AbstractCommand.Octopus.Shared.Startup.ICommand.Start(String[] commandLineArguments, ICommandRuntime commandRu ntime, OptionSet commonOptions) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.1\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\AbstractCommand.cs:line 57 at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action`1 start, Action shutdown) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.1\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\Cons oleHost.cs:line 72 at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.Run() in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.1\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\OctopusProgram.cs:line 87

Hi Chase,

When setting up a polling Tentacle (--comms-style "TentacleActive") the Tentacle will always connect to the Octopus server using HTTPS on the communication port specified (--server-comms-port "10943") so that port has to be open and the Tentacle server must be able to connect to it. We have a troubleshooting section for polling Tentacles on this page.

Hope that helps!

Henrik

FYI I’ve just had this happen - self-registering tentacles started raising errors:

`

This landing page is displayed when no X509 certificate is provided. Only Octopus Tentacles with a trusted certificate can connect to this Octopus Server.

at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RegisterMachineCommand.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.b__1() in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.1\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RegisterMachineCommand.cs: line 149 at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RegisterMachineCommand.Retry(Action action, Int32 retryCount, TimeSpan initalDelay, Double backOffFactor) in Y:\work\refs\tags\3.2.1\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RegisterMachineCommand.cs: line 124`

Octopus deploy server version was 3.1.7
Tentacle Client version was 3.1.7 (tentacle was the “latest” tentacle)

I updated Octopus server to 3.2.1 and when my polling tentacle attempted to self register it received the above error message.

I’ve forced my tentacle to be 3.1.7 by download an older msi version and the self-registration is now working again.

Thanks,

Graeme

Hi all,

Looking at this further (i.e. dotpeek) there’s a bug(fix) been introduced in the Retry method for RegisterMachineCommand - it’s got a Retry method which has been ‘fixed’ in 3.2.x, but the automatic registration looked to work because of the bug.

The change was made so that the Retry method correctly throws an exception if the trigger occurs (enough attempts are made and the op fails), Previously the exception would never be thrown. Unfortunately throwing the exception causes the registration command to fail.

Hope that helps you in sorting this one out - for anyone using self registering tentacles this they might want to hold off this version of the tentacle.

Cheers,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thank you very much for your detailed investigation you have done in regards to this bug.

I have replicated the bug locally as well and have raised #2134 to have this issue rectified as soon as possible.

Henrik

Henrik,

Thank you for the advice but my octopus server is already open on port 443 and 10943. This only seems to be happening to brand new instances which default to the latest tentacle msi.

This is a huge issue for us as we have several client systems using auto scaling at amazon that downloads the latest tentacle when they launch. This issue means that the auto scaling functionality which depended on octopus is essentially broken.

Graeme,

Thanks I will try the older tentacle msi.

Hi Chase,

We will make #2134 a priority and have a fix out for it in the next day or so.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Henrik