2018.2.7 - Deploy a release step

Hi.
I’ve read the tutorial and watched the youtube clip demonstrating the “Deploy a release” step, but I’m experiencing issues with it.

What I’m trying to do, is to reuse a integration test project which is pretty much the same for lots of projects. The only difference are the variables.

In this case I’ve defined two variables in the step:

Url = #{Url} --> value = "NHN.FEST"
NUnitArguments = #{NUnitArguments} --> value == --where “Category == NHN.FEST”

The error I’m getting when deploying the steps is
"The step failed: Activity Deploy IntegrationTest on the Octopus Server failed with error ‘After parsing a value an unexpected character was encountered: C. Path ‘NUnitArguments’, line 1, position 47.’. "

Hi Harald,

Thanks for getting in touch! That’s great to hear you’re trying out this step. Providing different variable values per parent project to the single child project is definitely possible.

Depending on how this is set up, it could possibly be the double quotes ("), but I feel like I’m assuming too much. You’re binding variables in the Deploy a Release steps to project variables, where those project variable values have the "s in them. Is that correct?

Just to confirm for us so we can test this properly, could you provide screenshots of these variables and also provide the full verbose deployment log with debugging variables enabled from another deployment attempt? The process to produce and export this log is outlined in our documentation.

I look forward to hearing back!

Kind regards,

Kenny

The main projects variables

The deploy step

The variable logging and export task does not work in this case since it fails immediatly

ServerTasks-39445.log.txt (4.7 KB)

The integration test project setup

The variables

The reason why some variables pops up in both projects, is because I’m testing how to deploy an integration test. If everything worked, you’d only need to pass on the NUnitArguments and Url (for the category).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.